As a vital part of the economy, the mission of the Prescott Farmers Market is to support and expand local agriculture, cultivate a healthy community and increase access to affordable local food.
The Prescott Farmers Market started in 1997 with just a few farmers and lots of energy and enthusiasm. Today we have over 60 vendors at the Prescott summer market and a dozen at both the Chino Valley and Prescott Valley markets. In 2014 the Prescott market expanded to a year-round schedule. Thousands of customers visit our markets each week for fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, and locally crafted artisan foods grown and prepared here in Yavapai County. We are proud to support local agriculture by bringing you the highest quality locally grown food – sold directly to you by the growers.
The PFM is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, operating year-round markets in Prescott and Prescott Valley as well as a summer market in Chino Valley. These markets are producer-only, meaning that vendors must grow or raise everything within Arizona or in the instance of processed foods and crafts, must make everything they sell at the market using a percentage of AZ-grown ingredients. Preference is given to farmers and ranchers operating within Yavapai County. By maintaining these strict standards, the PFM supports local agriculture by providing a market through which small-scale farmers can sell their goods.
Statement of Purpose
- To give agricultural producers of Yavapai County and Arizona alternative marketing opportunities that help them to sustain their local, family businesses;
- To serve as a business incubator by giving producers an opportunity to test and refine their products and marketing skills with minimal investment;
- To build community by bringing farmers and urban consumers together to deal directly with each other, allowing them to trust, know and learn from one another;
- To improve the variety, freshness, taste, and nutritional value of produce available in the Prescott area;
- To provide an educational forum for consumers to learn the uses and benefits of quality, locally grown and prepared food products;
- To support a clean environment through good agricultural practices, and which preserves open space, water, soil and biodiversity, and reduces fossil fuel use by minimizing the distance that food travels;
- To contribute to the local economy by keeping food dollars in the community;
- To enhance the quality of life in the greater Prescott area by providing a community activity that fosters social gathering and interaction;
- To ensure food security – by supporting local farms today, there will be farms in the community tomorrow and future generations will have access to nourishing, flavorful, and abundant food. We also accept EBT and most farmers accept WIC.